International Researchers

Information and resources for researchers from outside the United Kingdom, including support on visas, sponsorship, immigration fee assistance and EU settlement scheme.

Staff Immigration Service

The University of Edinburgh staff immigration service provides free and impartial specialist advice on UK immigration matters for prospective and current staff, visitors and their accompanying dependants.

Staff Immigration Service

I used the Staff Immigration Service many times to understand the visa options available to me and to navigate the application process. They were invaluable in helping me navigate the transition from a Tier 4 doctoral extension to a Tier 2. They also helped me to understand other visa options, notably the global talent visa. Even if scholars aren't in the midst of a visa process, I would always recommend they speak to the Staff Immigration Service to get a better sense of visa processes and all of their visa options

International Staff Advisor

Contact the International Staff Adviser by using the enquiry form linked below.

Contact the International Staff Advisor

New Staff

There are a number of things you need to consider and do to obtain your visa and when you arrive in the UK. Following the UK leaving the EU, a new immigration system was introduced from 1 January 2021. This will apply to EEA/Swiss and non-EEA nationals who enter the UK on/after 1 January 2021.

Visa & Immigration Information for New International Staff

Current Staff

At this link you can find out what to do when your visa is due to expire and get information in relation to sponsorship.  There are also sections that provide information on the support offered by the University, for instance the financial assistance with visa/residency fees. If you are an EEA/Swiss national, or non-EEA family member of an EEA/Swiss national you can also access information about your rights now that the UK has left the EU and how to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme.

Visa & Immigration Information for Current International Staff

EU Staff & Prospective Staff

Information for staff, family members and job applicants who are EU citizens, including EU-funded Horizon 2020 projects.

The University & Europe | Staff

Global Talent Visa

The Global Talent route is available to exceptionally talented individuals in the fields of art, science, humanities, engineering, medicine and digital technology, who wish to work in the UK.

A new Global Talent visa route has been introduced for talented or promising individuals who are active researchers in academic, industry or government research institutions in a range of disciplines. It replaced the Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa on 20 February 2020.

Global Talent Visa